I have published a YouTube video detailing how to get wax out of a candle holder. You can also use this method to clean wax out of glass candle holders and recycle them. I know ya’ll are buying candles from Marshall’s because you like the containers they come in… so save the containers!
You will need:
- An old, *almost burned- down candle
- Bowl of water
- Dull knife or screwdriver
- Paper towels
- Long lighter
- Melt your candle down all the way to the bottom.
- Once the wax is liquid, dump it into the water.
- Use your knife or screwdriver to pry the metal part of the wick out of the bottom of the candle. Get out as much glue as you can.
- Use the paper towels to wipe out the inside of your candle. You can run it through the dishwasher to get it extra clean, but make sure there is almost no wax left. Wax will destroy your drains.
- Discard the hardened wax in the water. Run it through a strainer to get out the smaller chunks. You can use the water to water plants, wash dishes, or for any other gray water purpose.
- Remember, don’t drink out of containers unless you know they are food safe.
The Rihanna lighter in the video is from FriedOprah.
I hope you recycle lots of candles!