WARNING: SO MANY SPOILERS!
This is basically an encyclopedia of spoilers for the Darren Aronofsky movie mother!.
If you’re reading this, I assume you already saw the movie and figured it out allegory.
If you saw the movie didn’t get it, look at this poster art.
It’s pretty obvious.
This list is not exhaustive. Please feel free to add your own interpretations and discoveries in the comments.
- Jennifer Lawrence: Mother Earth.
- The House: Earth
- Javier Bardem: The Creator, God
- Ed Harris (the doctor): Adam
- The wound in Ed Harris’ side: Adam’s rib
- Adam’s lighter: bears the Druidic Wendehorn symbol, believed to represent “the cooperation between nature’s eternal laws, working in effect and in accordance with each other.” (Wikipedia)
- Michelle Pfieffer: Eve
- Michelle Pfieffer’s bright green lingere: The snake
- Michelle Pfieffer’s spiked lemonade: Also the snake
- Javier Bardem’s study: The Garden of Eden
- The sparkly crystal: The Tree of Knowledge; also, stardust (the matter from which all things in the universe are formed)
- The “good” son: Abel
- The psycho redheaded son (Domnhall Gleeson): Cain
- Gray Paint: Industrialization, civilization, buildings
- Mother’s Yellow Powder: Aronofsky stays mum on this one, but some sources say it alludes to the short story The Yellow Wallpaper, about women trapped by the confines of men. It also resembles pollen, a way for plants to reproduce.
- The blood on the upstairs floor: human stain, irreparable damage
- Dying bee- A dying bee.
- The broken kitchen sink- Noah’s flood
- The poet’s manuscript: The Bible, the Ten Commandments, sacred texts
- The publisher (Kristen Wigg): Spreading the word and killing in the name? She’s the church.
- The Baby: Some people think the baby represents Jesus. I think it represents everything our environment ever gave us that we’ve desecrated. It also serves as the inciting incident for Mother’s self- destruction, so the baby could be an event we have not yet witnessed.
- Burning the house: The apocalypse.
I need someone with a bit more biblical knowledge to explain these:
- The hidden tunnel under the house
- The exploding bloody light bulb
- The nasty thing in the toilet
- The SWAT team