2017 | 2 hours 18 minutes | Dir. James Gunn | Marvel
Honest answer: I don’t remember. But, Volume 2 definitely made me cry more.
Marvel released Gaurdians of the Galaxy Volume II on Cinco de Mayo and in true 70’s fashion, did not bother with a dorky title (Led Zeppelin I-IV, anyone?) But don’t worry. There’s plenty of Marvel/ Disney dork in GGII, such as a shameless plug for Mary Poppins.
This time, the Guardians split up after lifting some batteries from that evil lady from The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and her army of golden video gamers. An unlucky run- in with the Scavengers saddles Rocket (the raccoon) and Baby Groot (the tree) with Yondu, Peter’s foster daddy, and Nebula, Gamora’s cyborg sister. Meanwhile, Peter, Gamora and Drax visit Peter’s birth daddy Ego (Kurt Russel) on his extravagant self- designed planet.
No one like Kurt Russel to play an egomaniac, right? Fantastic casting. Also: Gilmore Girl’s Kirk (Sean Gunn) plays a sensitive Scavenger and it’s awesome.
Like you might have guessed, Ego has more than father- son bonding on the brain and soon all the Guardians must save the Galaxy- and Starlord!
Volume II is over- the- top and each shot has way too much shit going on in it. But, it has that signature kickass soundtrack, likable characters, and a really big heart.
Like I said. So much crying. I’m pretty sure Disney wants to turn Marvel movies into Pixar- level tearjerkers, because this movie had some serious feels.
Stay after for the groovy record- style credits and not the ridiculous overkill of 5 extra scenes. It’s still a Marvel franchise. But as far as I’m concerned, it’s the *coolest Marvel franchise.
Here’s the song list from the “Awesome Mixtape Vol 2”:
- “Mr. Blue Sky” — Electric Light Ochestra
- “Fox on the Run” — Sweet
- “Lake Shore Drive” —Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah
- “The Chain” —Fleetwood Mac
- “Bring It On Home To Me” —Sam Cooke
- “Southern Nights” —Glen Campbell
- “My Sweet Lord” —George Harrison
- “Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)” — Looking Glass
- “Come A Little Bit Closer” — Jay and the Americans
- “Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang” — Silver
- “Surrender” — Cheap Trick
- “Father and Son” — Cat Stevens
- “Flash Light” — Parliament